Power Up for the New Year!
2017 is here! A new year signifies a new beginning. There is no better time than now to start some good habits and do more to take care of your body.
Daily challenges, work, study or other commitments may leave many of us exhausted and in need of more energy. If you feel tired easily, or find it hard to concentrate on tasks, or you may even find yourself getting more impatient and short-tempered at the smallest trigger, you could be experiencing adrenal fatigue and exhaustion.
Here are some tips to help boost your energy:
- Sleep – ensure you are getting enough sleep. An average adult should be sleeping 7 – 8 hours nightly. Sleep helps your body recover and rejuvenate itself.
- Walk & stretch – the more you exercise or move, the more energetic you will feel. For a quick stretch, stand with your feet apart and push your palms upward as far as you can.
- Eat a healthy diet – your body needs a wide range of vitamins, minerals and nutrients to produce energy. Eat moderate amount of carbohydrates and ensure sufficient intake of protein foods. Cut down on sugar as it may cause fluctuations in your blood sugar, leaving you more tired. Excessive eating can also leave you sleepy and tired.
- Take a power nap – if you feel really tired in the middle of the day, a 15-minute nap is a great recharge.
- Drink water – keep your body hydrated; fatigue can be a sign of dehydration.
- Reduce stress – stress is an energy zapper. By reducing stress, you will improve your energy and focus. Plan your time well and remember to take a breather.
- Play – all work and no play can make Jack a tired boy! Have a massage, listen to music, or do something fun.
- Health check – if your tiredness doesn’t go away, consult your doctor (check your thyroid function or blood cell count).
Beware of stimulants – too much caffeine from coffee and energy drinks may adversely impact on your heart health, sleep and moods. Stimulants are not a good way to boost your energy in the long-run. If you need some extra energy support, these would be beneficial:
- Nutrients : B complex, Vitamin C, Magnesium, CoQ10
- Herbs : Rhodiola, Ashwagandha, Ginseng, Cordyeceps